Sunday, January 20, 2008

First Human Embryo Created from Skin Cell

Ok, I have to admit that I wasn't surprised by the new development that scientist have successfully created a human embryo from stems cells created from a skin cell. When I read about the November 2007 study where they had successfully developed stem cells from skin cells, I knew this would be the next step.

However, I'm still stunned that there has not been any legislative discussion on an international level about how to regulate this science. We've successfully created a way for one person to take their own skin cells, turn it into stem cells, create an embryo and potentially create a clone of themselves.

Even weirder, since I'm a woman...in theory, I could take my own skin cell, turn it into a stem cell, then create an embryo from it and implant it into me and birth my a clone of myself.

So creepy!!

No comments: