Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hookup Maps - A Mashup of Craigslist Personals and Google Maps

So it turns out there is a mashup application out there to let you know who is single in your neighborhood. Beyond the obvious (that as a single woman I don't want random men to know where I live before vetting them) it might actually be helpful. I'm thinking of my own neighborhood where there are TONS of townhouses and apartment complexes in a small area. I walk by them on the way to the metro, and think, "I bet the love of my life lives in one of these apartments...how would I ever meet him"?

HookupMaps is a mix of Craigslist personal ads and Google Maps - showing you where the people wanting to "hook up" in your city are. I wonder if it pulls from the sexually scarey "random encounters" section, "the LTR section" or some other section. It will not only tell you how many single people there are in your neighborhood, but it will also tell you the age and gender of each poster.

(Credit: CNET Networks)

The site also lets you filter your searches based on a few criteria: m4m, m4w, w4w, w4m, and whether the post contains a picture. You can search by city, neighborhood, or, by keyword. Here in DC maybe that means you can search for "liberal" or "democrat" or "lawyer" if that's your preference.

There's a different twist on staving off movie watching loneliness that I discovered while at Pop!Tech. It's a blog called "White Hat Stories", where a poster announces that they will be wearing a white hat and watching a movie at X movie theater in case anyone wants to join them for company.

It's interesting to see how people are using technology to encourage face-to-face interactions - like joining groups on Facebook or Meetup.com

No comments: