Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Stumbling Upon Happiness

Now that the speakers for PopTech are posted, I'm busy reading to catch myself up to speed on the variety of topics that will be covered during the October conference.

The first book I consumed, Stumbling Upon Happiness, was a quick read for me and it discussed how our brains store memories, and use those memories ineffectively to predict our future happiness.

Considering I'm in a transitional phase with my work situation, this book was perfect for me to read and process. I still haven't fully embodied all of the research presented, and I can't wait to meet the author to fully understand his thesis.

My one funny take away - our future prediction of happiness is based on our recent memories and our current state of mind. In particular, our happiness related to food is based on how often we consume our favorite food.

For example, if I have sushi one day and it's fabulous, it won't be as exciting the next day. But if only have sushi once a month, I will always experience the same level of happiness because my memory of how great it was has faded. So instead of forcing myself to "try something new off the menu" at a restaurant I only go to once a month, I should let myself eat my favorite dish, because I will get more happiness overall.

Next on the reading list is The Female Brain.

No comments: